The new edition of Italian Council has had an extraordinary success, with 204 applications from all over the world.
Italian Council supports projects for the production, promotion, dissemination and knowledge of Italian contemporary art in the world, along three lines of intervention:
- Increase of public collections (Area 1)
- International promotion of artists, curators and critics (Area 2)
- Talent development (Strand 3)
The ninth edition of the call will fund 11 new productions, 2 acquisitions of artworks, 4 monographic exhibitions abroad, 3 participations in international events, 6 international publishing projects and 2 research residencies abroad. With the ninth call, 9 grants will be funded for the first time to support the international research of artists, curators and critics.
THE SELECTED PROJECTS
The projects for the production and international promotion of new works to increase public collections to be financed by the eighth edition of the call will be carried out by:
- Marco Bagnoli presented by the Fondazione Museo Montelupo (Montelupo Fiorentino, FI) and destined for the Museo della Ceramica di Montelupo Fiorentino;
- Fatma Bucak, presented by Kunsthaus Dresden (Germany) and destined for MAMbo, Bologna;
- Francesca Grilli presented by Contemporary Locus association (Bergamo) and destined to GAMeC, Bergamo;
- Paolo Icaro presented by the Municipality of Volterra and destined for the Pinacoteca Civica of Volterra;
- Claudia Losi presented by the Direzione Regionale Musei delle Marche and destined for the Rocca Roveresca in Senigallia;
- Christian Niccoli presented by Momentum gUG (Berlin, Germany) and destined to MAN in Nuoro;
- Valerio Rocco Orlando presented by Nomas Foundation (Rome) and destined for the Museo del Novecento in Milan;
- Laura Pugno presented by the association a.titolo (Turnin) and destined for the MUSE in Trento;
- Chiaralice Rizzi and Alessandro Laita presented by AFOL Metropolitana/CFP Bauer (Milan) and destined for MUFOCO in Cinisello Balsamo (MI);
- Alessandro Sciaraffa presented by Fondazione Torino Musei and destined for the GAM in Turin;
- Alessandro Sciarroni presented by ArtHub Asia (Hong Kong) and destined for MAN in Nuoro.
In addition, works will be acquired and promoted by:
- Bruna Esposito, presented by the Associazione Mantellate (Rome) and destined for the Centro per l'Arte Contemporanea Luigi Pecci in Prato;
- Michele Sambin, presented by the Circolo del Cinema Ricciotto Canudo (Bisceglie) and destined for the Museo Sigismondo Castromediano in Lecce.
MONOGRAPHIC INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONS
Regarding the international promotion of artists, curators and critics, the following projects will be funded:
PARTICIPATION IN REGULAR INTERNATIONAL CULTURAL EVENTS
- Emilio Isgrò’s solo show at the CAFA (Central Academy of Fine Arts) of Beijing (China), presented by Associazione Signum Lab (Milan);
- Gaetano Pesce’s solo show at the Aspen Museum (Aspen, Colorado, USA);
- Paola Pivi’s solo show at the Anchorage Museum (Anchorage, Alaska, USA);
- Ilaria Turba’s solo show at the Mucem - Musée des civilisations de l'Europe et de Méditerranée (Marsiglia, Francia).
INTERNATIONAL EDITORIAL PROJECTS
- Artist Patrizio Di Massimo’s participation in the Kathmandu Triennale 2077 (proposer: Siddhartha Art Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal);
- Artist Sissi’s participation in the collective exhibition L'Habit Habite, Villa Bernasconi in Geneva (proposer: Associazione Acrobazie, Palermo);
- Artist Giacomo Zaganelli’s participation in the Thailand Biennale, Korat 2021 (proposer: The Office of Contemporary Art and Culture, Ministry of Culture, Thailand).
- The publishing project presented by Associazione culturale Il Teatro degli Artisti (Pesaro) dedicated to Eliseo Mattiacci and edited by Lara Conte, Cornelia Mattiacci and Giulia Lotti;
- The editorial project presented by Faculté d'Architecture, d'ingénierie architecurale, d'urbanisme (LOCI) - UCLovain (Lovain, Belgium), dedicated to the UFO collective and edited by Beatrice Lampariello, Boris Hamzeian and Andrea Anselmo;
- The publishing project presented by Fondazione Calzolari (Fossombrone, PU) dedicated to Pier Paolo Calzolari and edited by Denys Zacharopoulos, Andrea Viliani;
- The editorial project presented by the Fondazione Il Giardino di Daniel Spoerri - Hic Terminus Haeret edited by Anna Mazzanti;
- The editorial project presented by MACRO - Museo d'Arte Contemporanea di Roma | Azienda Speciale Palaexpo dedicated to Cinzia Ruggeri and edited by Luca Lo Pinto;
- The editorial project presented by SAVVY Contemporary and edited by Elena Agudio, Angelica Pesarini, Elena Quintarelli and Chiara Figone.
RESEARCH RESIDENCIES PROGRAMMES
For talent development will be supported:
- Artist Alice Pedroletti’s residency at ZK/U - Center for Art and Urbanistics, Berlin;
- Artist Carola Spadoni’s residency at Künstlerhaus Bethanien gGmbH, Berlin.
- The project by art curator Elena Abbiatici
- The project by artist Eugenia Delfini
- The project by art curator Marialaura Ghidini
- The project by art critic Emanuele Rinaldo Meschini
- The project by art critic Giovanna Costanza Meli
- The project by art curator Federica Patti
- The project by artist Alessandro Quaranta
- The project by artist Justin Randolph Thompson
- The project by art curator Francesca Verga
For more information on the projects go to the DOCUMENTATION section
THE EVALUATION COMMITEE
The Italian Council Evaluation Committee for the three-year period 2019-2021 is chaired by Fabio De Chirico, manager at the General Directorate for Contemporary Creativity, and is composed of Bartomeu Marí Ribas, critic and curator; Marco Scotini, critic, curator and director of the Visual Arts and Curatorial Studies department at NABA, Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti, Milan; Claudio Varagnoli, architect and lecturer at the University of Chieti; Angela Vettese, art historian, critic and lecturer at IUAV in Venice.